WE HAVE MOVED

WE HAVE MOVED
CLICK PICTURE TO GO TO NEW SITE

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
~ Follow Guilty Pleasures ~ You'll Never Miss Out on the Fun! ~

Monday, September 12, 2011

Hooked (Studs in Spurs bk 4) by Cat Johnson


His last eight seconds could lead to the longest, most satisfying ride of his life.

Visit Cat's web-site
Studs in Spurs, Book 4
Annie Grant is at the top of her game as an on-air interviewer for the pro bull-riders tour. In all those years standing within microphone range of thousands of sexy cowboys, she's never been tempted...until now. Now that respected veteran Luke Carpenter is no longer with his longtime girlfriend, he's back on the market. And Annie is buying.

Luke knows his days are numbered. Every year the rookies get younger, the bulls get ranker and, like it or not, the time is coming when he'll be hanging up his spurs. After a sizzling hot night with Annie, he realizes that maybe this old dog can learn some new tricks. But quicker than a bull can spin, things get complicated.
A tragedy forces Luke into a no-win decision: hang onto the tail end of his career, or retire early for his family. Either way, he can live with his choice. Question is, can he live without Annie?

Warning: Contains knock-your-boots-off cowboy lovin, some up close and personal interviews of the oral persuasion, and a happy ending...cowboy style.

Naughty D's Two Cents:
I love Cat Johnson's Studs in Spurs series., Hooked is #4 in the series.

Luke has to be one of the cutest, "awww shucks ma'am" blushing, type cowboys I've read. I didn't feel I got to see an alpha side to him, just a sexy as hell know how to please his woman cowboy.  TBH I felt like the first 25% was great, I loved the way they were shy with each other and got together, then the incident happens we see a bit of how Luke deals with it. Then bam months later he is back and the story is wrapping it up and I loved the end, but it came to fast for me.  Hooked  has so much potential to be a 5 star..but idk if I'm getting too critical or losing it, because, I LOVE Luke and Annie, but I felt like I didn't get to see them together enough to see how they actually fall in love.

I wanted MORE of LUKE and ANNIE, we only see them together THREE times. We saw Annie with Slade and Mustang as many times as we did with Luke (just as friends with Slade & Mustang)  I did love seeing Slade and Mustang, they are so freaking cute and mischievous.

NOW let me stress Ms. Johnson is GREAT at describing each character's feelings and emotions and maybe that's my problem, so great that I wanted to know and see more.  This is a great short read and anyone that loves sexy cowboys and her Studs in Spurs series should read it.  The problem may very well be me, I have stopped reading short story/novellas because I just can't get enough out of them, no matter who the author may be, that being said I have to continue reading Studs In Spurs because Ms. Johnson has made me fall in love with her Cowboys and their ladies.

I can't in all fairness give just one rating to Hooked because there were parts I LOVED.  I would say the beginning and end get 4 Cougar Paws, but the middle lost me a little because it was all about Luke dealing with the incident, he cold turkey stops seeing Annie, then boom he's back in Annie's life and all works out neatly the first time they see each other again. So because I didn't really see any relationship time between Luke and Annie in the middle it gets 3 cougar paws from me.  See below the  ratings for a more defined explanation, but be warned it has spoilers.


Naughty D gives Hooked 
Overall (3.75) 
 Naughtiness 


****SPOILER...SPOILER....SPOILER...SPOILER....SPOILER....SPOILER****

Because I REALLY loved Luke, Annie, the secondary cast and the Studs in Spurs series.   I  feel I need to explain in more detail why I said I didn't feel like I saw enough of Luke and Annie.

Annie's traveled the circuit as a reporter for years, she has a working friendship with all the bull riders.  She and Luke have never dated or even acknowledged a possible attraction, Luke is just months out of a long term relationship.  Luke runs into Annie and decides to take a chance and ask her to dinner, the way I read it, Mustang and Slade were behind the scenes trying to match-make.  Luke and Annie have a impromptu first date at the end of the date they have a hot night of OMG sex.  The very next day a tragedy occurs Luke has to head home. Annie goes with Mustang and Slade to visit Luke for a short couple hours, a really sweet scene happens here. Annie leaves, Luke realizes that as a result of the tragedy Luke has to leave the circuit. He never even calls Annie to tell her he won't see her anymore, just drops out of her life. Then BAM we are months later, Annie still has never heard from Luke, so she assumes he gets back with his ex of 7 yrs. Things work out where Luke can finally see her again, he walks up to her, says we need to talk, they talk/work it out, I love yous are exchanged. THE END.

Naughty Cougar Tales has now moved to Guilty Pleasures click here to follow us there

Image and video hosting by TinyPic